Thursday, 24 May 2012

Do you believe in fate?

The idea of fate is a contentious idea among people. Is there really such thing as fate? Does it influence a person's life. Famous people throughout history have given their thoughts on the notion:

"The best of men cannot defend their fate: The good die early and the bad die late." (Daniel Dafoe, 18th c)

"Our hour is marked an no one can claim a moment of life beyond what fate has predestined." (Napoleon, 19th c)

"What fates impose, that men must needs abide;/It boots not to resist both wind and tide." (Shakespeare, Henry VI Part 3)

1) What do these quotations mean to you? Do you agree or disagree? Write your thoughts on my blog.

2) Also, while you're commenting, tell me where we saw references to fate in the play. How much do these characters think fate controls their lives? Post responses to this on my blog as well.

8 comments:

  1. The first quotation to me means that nobody can protect themselves from their fate, the second quotation means to me that nobody can decide when our time is, and the third quotation to me means that things that are out of your control that you have to do, you more or less have to accept it and not fight it.

    In the play, is saw references to fate when Romeo and Juliet first met at a party that Romeo was not supposed to be at and he met a girl who had that last name that her family didn't get along with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the first quotation is true in a super hero movie. ;-) Although, in real life I don't necessarily believe that is true. The good don't always die early, just as the bad don't always die late. There are plenty of exceptions but I'm sure there are many points people could use to support this too.
    The second quote I also think is untrue. It means no one can change their destiny. It think that destiny does not exist. What happens in life is your choice by the actions that you make throughout your own life.
    The third quote is saying that you cannot resist your fate. Once again, I do not believe in fate so I believe that this statement is also untrue. Nobody needs to abide by anything they just need to live with the choices that they make.
    The play had a number of references to fate throughout it. When Romeo and Juliet first saw each other for example. Some might say that it was fate that they met and died together. I just think that there own choices led to some unforeseen misunderstandings which caused the situation they were in to only get worse. Another example of fate in the play could be the letter that Friar Laurence sent to Romeo. He never did end up getting it. That was what caused the horrible things that happened at the end of the play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fate

    These quotes to me are stating that fate is something that is unchangeable and meant to happen. They are trying to say that we have no choice in our ultimate destiny and that no matter how you live your life, your life has already been worked out. I personally am on the edge because I don't quite have a clear understanding of it yet. If I had to choose, then I guess I don't really believe in it because I think that you create your own fate; by how you act, life choices, etc. I think that you life is determined by you and how you chose to live your life. I think that you can change the course of your life and for that I don't think that there is strict path from the very beginning. Now I know that different religious/ non- religious groups have different views on this topic and it can be very debateable.

    One of the main themes and significant factors in Romeo and Juliet is fate. This means that the lives of Romeo and Juliet could have been influenced by some power other than of their wills. During the Shakespearian time, many people believed in fate and it is shown in Romeo and Juliet. I think that the characters thought that fate was a big factor in their lives. From the beginning it says that their love is 'death mark'd' meaning that their fate will be tragic. The words 'star-crossed lovers' mean that fate will bring them together. Romeo felt uneasy about going to the ball and said "I fear too early; for my mind miss gives some consequence yet hanging in the stars shall bitterly begin his fearful date with the night's revels" He senses that something bad is going to happen and there is nothing he can do about it. He goes because he believes that it is his fate.

    After Tybalt dies, Juliet can't believe that fate can be so cruel as to take her cousin. She seems to think that fate has taken her cousin and it is not fair. There are also times when the characters feel that they can change their fate. An example could be when Romeo said "I defy you stars". This means that Romeo disbelieves Juliet’s death and he wants to change fate. Although it is impossible to do, all he cares about it Juliet. Lastly one of the best examples would be the entire story line. Romeo and Juliet know that their families hate each other, yet they want to deny their fate and be with each other. They don't want to live out their lives like their family's have, yet in the end fate brings them to their unexpected death.

    Fate is extremely strong in the play and is the base of the entire story as it shapes the characters lives. Again I don't really believe in fate I don't like the idea of living a life that has already been determined. In a way, fate means that you are just fiddling away the hours with meaningless activity to keep yourself occupied, while "fate" runs your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these personally don't mean that much to me in the respect of fate. I don't belive that there is such a thing as fate. i do believe we were born for a reason and its up to the inividual weather they pursue it or not because I believe it is ultimitly your desisions that get you where you go and how you react to life.

    in the book the way fate is introduced in quite a few places but reading some other postes it seems that fate is mostly introduced around Romeo and Juliet as if she is they are the only ones that believes in fate or if fate itself is close to them. like when her cousin dies, when they meet, when the message isn't delivered. I know that the book is about them but its like nobody exept for the both of them are involed in fate. I think more then romeo and juliet themselfs it was fate that at the end the capulets and the montigues were no longer enemys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quotes to me almost make me feel lost in life and worthless. The idea of "fate" assumes that you almost don't control your life but you are in fact made to live your preplanned role in life.I like to think that I, myself, will get myself to where I would like to go in life in the future and if i don't then it is my fault. For this reason, I do not believe in fate but I believe that fate is something you must make yourself with success and not depend on your fate to take you where you want.


    The theme of fate is seen throughout the play of Romeo and Juliet. Romeo is dragged to the Capulets party and he mets Juliet there, he interrpurets this as fate that he was brought to the party to met Juliet. I think that Romeo and Juliet both believe fate to be a major part in there lives and mistake young love as fate. They both blindly run into a relationship that doesnt end well. If they stopped and thought that maybe this wasnt there "fate" then maybe they never would have died.

    Finally, I think that romeo and Juliet, Juliet especually, has conflicting thoughts about fate because she thinks, why was she born a Capulet if she was meant to marry a Montague? For the reason, I think that fate is a very complicated theme in the play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fate i beleive, has a hold on all of us. The grasp not so tight on some of us giving us freedom, but with others i beleive no matter what actions and descions they make, their always pulled back to a certain path. Call me crazy you won't be the first nor the last but this is what i feel.

    In Romeo and Juliet i think the two main characters, Romeo and Juliet feel that fate controls their lives. Although it is clear that fate does not keep them together but the will to stay together and to bend the rules. But the way they see it is a greater hand nudging them in the direction of each other. awwwwe so caute.

    As for the qoutations, I somewhat beleive in what they say. To sum them up, it means that no matter who you are, you cannot escape fate, the clock always ticking down, and that it seems the good die young and the evil thrive. Personally i see where these noobs are coming from. The trajedy of a good person makes it seem like that they were to young, but we only feel that way because we still beleive in squezzing out as much potential as possible. These leaders lead for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These quotes mean nothing to me in regards of fate. They are useful for historical study, and attempting to understand the thought process of certain individuals in the past- but the fate part means nothing. Fate does not exist. There is a pre-planned path out there for us, but it came about because of the type of person we will be. Your life is determined by your decisions. If you chose to drop out of high school and have a kid at the age of 16, you will not have the same lifestyle as the guy who goes to university and studies physics. The way you want to live your life is up to you, not fate.

    In Romeo and Juliet, it seemed that the characters depended on 'fate'. Fate was what they could fall back onto if they were over thinking something, or something weird happened. "It must have been fate." And poof! Everything is alright in their world. No worries, it was fate. They don't place as much importance on their actions because of this- because supposedly fate is going to take over anyways. That is why Romeo and Juliet was as dramatic as it was.

    Some of the instances where 'fate' is present, is when Romeo goes to the Capulet's party by chance, and dances with Juliet. Fate is supposed to bring them together. With this thought in their minds, it could lead them to try harder, or not try at all.
    It is 'fate' when Tybalt dies, when Mercutio dies, when Juliet dies, when Romeo dies.
    It is 'fate' when the Friar gives Juliet the poison, and the apothecary gives Romeo poison.
    It is 'fate' when Romeo and Juliet get married.
    It is 'fate' that will settle peace between the Montagues and the Capulets.

    Fate is a dangerous concept to believe in, and the story Romeo and Juliet proves this theory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I think of fate, I believe in something that can be prophesized. It can been seen because if fate does exist, you would be able to tap into the into the parallel universe or dimension it exists in through meditation or some other sort of methods and be able to view your future fate or even have the posibility to change it for the better or the worse.

    "The best of men cannot defend their fate: The good die early and the bad die late."

    To me, this quote states how you cannot defend your fate from something that happens to it because it it will a path of its own and everything you do is actually following your fate, even if you think you are defying it. If you are good and decide to stay that way, you will have a higher chance of dying earlier because of an event, such as defending someone's life or sparing yours for the life of many. The bad live longer because they get others to do all the dirty work for them as they watch from a distance as their work unfolds.

    In Romeo and Juliet the path of fate was changed as soon as Romeo met Juliet at the mascaraed. From that point, their fate was sealed as Romeo was determined to be with Juliet and vice versa. This is what eventually led them spiralling downward to the final event of them both committing suicide to be with one another in a sense of spirituality and physicality.

    Fate is not really something to believe in, more so something you follow but believing gives you a feeling of hope in things to come.

    ReplyDelete